3D printing workshop at Camberwell: The Digital Practice Exchange at CCW
The CCW Digital Makers group were invited along to see the the progress of their 3D printing experiments at the digital media department at Camberwell, this was our second Digital Practice Exchange meeting.
The 3D Printing Introduction session was delivered by Matthew Edwards, great to hear an in-house 3D printing expert (in the making) talk about the journey staff have taken exploring the world of 3D printing using their ULTIMAKER 2, printers CCW are keen to explore in the other colleges too in the new year.
During the session talked about different types of 3D software, materials used in 3D printing, types of 3D printers and had a quick demonstration how to set up and send files to a 3D printer (Ultimaker 2).
We had lots of new tips and insights which I'm keen to explore further as part of of 'Pop Up MakerSpace' project and build a CCW 3D printing group.
So top 5 tips to note were:
- Elmers Washable School Glue Stick - perfect for helping the printer material make contact with the surface
- 3D printing files: STL or OBJ files - Start with a Good .STL or .OBJ Exporting Your Model as .STL or .OBJ http://formlabs.com/support/software/start-good-stl-or-obj/
- Cura: helps you to prepare your files for print. CURA AND 3D PRINTING - https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software
- Useful Website: Thingiverse - download pre made designs for printing some creative Commons licensed
- 3D Software to try: Blender - Solid works - http://www.solidworks.co.uk/ - Cinema 4d